Thursday, June 14, 2007

New book from Seedling

I just finished the illustrations for a new children's book to be published by Seedling Publications. Here's a sneak peek of the front and back cover illustrations. The illustrations called for a hispanic dad, son and daughter. I used my husband and my nephew as models, neither of whom are hispanic and neither of whom are a daughter. Both, in fact, are very blonde haired, blue-eyed, adorable boys, but they worked great as references. The wiggly dog on the back cover was played by our friends' dogs, Oscar and Nemo. Our house played the part of the house in the book (except that I changed the color of our door and shutters from an ugly purply maroon to a lovely cobalt blue instead).

2 comments:

Kathleen Rietz said...

Hey Kristi - I was perusing your web site....I knew I had seen your artwork before...Picture-Book maybe? I love your style and these 2 illustrations are especially nice. I am currently working on illustrations for several books, and it's quite a fun challenge to change the genders and ethnicities of the models you have to work with to match up with the requests of the publisher! I can totally relate! I hope my illustrations turn out as nicely as yours have. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments!

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful. I love how you converted them to make them look more Hispanic. I am Hispanic so I can really appreciate it, and I'll say too I knew right away they must've been before reading your description. Gorgeous work!